1.12.2011

The Mis-Adventures of the Holidays - The Finale

Christmas!!!!!

Who doesn't love Christmas. All the presents, shopping, caroles, snow...spending all your money. Yea you kinda go broke too, forgot about that. Ok let's forget about that. So every Christmas I get to be Santa Claus times two. I mean not only am I buying gifts for my love ones but my Daddy who isn't to big on shopping gives me his list so that I can be his personal shopper for everyone else. It always start off good but ends up being the most horrific thing I can do. So this year I was determine to stay in the lovely Christmas spirit.

Two things I always try to do my very best is to...
A. Buy the gifts slowly, like two or three at a time.
B. Wrap them as I bring em home.
The second part doesn't always work so well, seeing as I'm at the mall for hours and am exhausted by the time I get home.  So I tried to the weekend shopping and realize that everyone and their mother is at the mall on the weekends. Regardless I continued with my task at hand, once I finally make it home, I turned the phone on and start listening to Christmas songs on Pandora as I wrap my life away. You know trying to keep with the spirit. I love Christmas songs, all of them. However when you take your time to do everything like I do, around an hour or two, the songs aren't too "joyous" anymore.

So the days are being counted down and for some reason or another I find myself on Christmas Eve and I still have a few people to go. Oh no! Out of my years of Christmas shopping I have never, ever waited to the very last day to finish shopping, NEVER! So I was extremely foolish in thinking that I would be one of the "few" people who go to the mall. I was badly mistaken. Ha! I go to the mall after leaving work a couple of hours early, yes I HAD to work. It took my about 20-30 minutes to find a parking spot in a mall that has a valley of parking spaces. I didn't even park in a spot I had to make one next to an abandoned garage, in their driveway. I only did it because someone else had.

You know I go in, maneuvering my way through people traffic. I am literally in and out of stores. I am out of that store in less than 45 minutes...empty handed! Yet I am do not let myself get discouraged. I continue onto the next mall which I know I should have gone to first and it's not so packed. Thank goodness! And I make it out just in time to get home, finish wrapping and get ready for dinner on time.

I still managed to get frustrated this year but that was partially because I thought it would be fun to bring my kid nieces along for the shopping fun one day. Big mistake! Never again. But overall it's always worth to see the priceless smiles of everyone when they open the gift you spent hours, long lines, mall traffic, money, energy on.

Feliz Navidad.



No comments: